Your message has been sent, you will be contacted soon
Afghanistan Times

Call Me Now!

Close

Security forces retake Chardara district

  • Array

AT-KABUL: Ministry of Defense on Wednesday said that Chardara district of northern Kunduz province has been retaken from the insurgents last night.

In a press statement issued here, Ministry of Defense (MoD) said that Afghan Special Forces and soldiers succeeded in retaking Chardara district. The district was considered to be a stronghold of the Taliban militants which had been cleared last night.

Spokesman to the provincial police, Syed Sarwar Hussaini, said that tens of militants have been killed and scores of vehicles in use of the Taliban were destroyed in the last night operation.

He said the clearance operation is underway in the outskirts of the district to eliminate the remaining insurgents. Security forces have been deployed in the bases. According to the spokesman, backbone of the insurgents had been broken in the district and security situation has returned to normal.

Hussaini said that morale of the security forces was high as the enemy was on the run and finding places “to hide and save the skin”.

Security forces and civilians have suffered no casualty in the operation. The defense ministry said the operation will continue until the remaining areas were cleared from the miscreants.

Following clearance of Kunduz city from Taliban fighters, Afghan forces concentrated over Chardara district, which was the most insecure district of Kunduz province. Taliban had made it stronghold. The insurgents were using the district as base-camp to target other areas of the province.

Kunduz representative in the Wolesi Jirga, Wodod Paiman, has appreciated the security forces for the clearance of Chardara district from Taliban fighters, and said the district was one of the strategic areas for the Taliban in northern Kunduz province.